* A unique event is taking place this Saturday afternoon and evening in the Larchmere neighborhood of Cleveland. Porchfest runs from 2 – 6 with a full slate of performances by local musicians taking place at residential porches. Hence, the name Porchfest. Later that evening, the days’ events will move to Shaker Square where Other Girls, JJ Magazine, Goodmorning Valentine will perform at the main stage. More information can be found here.
* Not to be outdone in the unique department, the Cleveland Museum of Art is throwing a Summer Solstice celebration Saturday night. The event is headlined by Dan Deacon, who is scheduled to perform at 10:15, with Cleveland’s fast rising drone rock stars, Emeralds closing out the night’s festivities at 1.
* Devo continue to work on their forthcoming full length album, and by the time the album is finished there may be a few familiar names listed in the credits. In an interview with Spin.com, Mark Mothersbaugh speaks about a colloboration with LCD Soundsystem’s James Murphy as well as the potential for future work with Justice and Fatboy Slim.
* Speaking of classic Northeast, Ohio bands in the studio…Pere Ubu have a new disc slated for release this September.
* Cobra Verde’s John Petkovic recently spoke with Mike Shanley of Blurt.com and as always, Petkovic delivered some choice lines. On the band’s Rolling Stones’ cover, “Play With Fire,” being featured in the HBO series True Blood, he had this to say: “After that came out, ABKCO, the Stones’ publishing company was calling and emailing every single day to make sure that they got paid up because we got tons of downloads on iTunes after the show aired. I told them, “I understand that Mick and Keith don’t have the luxury to fall back on day jobs, but we do.”
* Lastly, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has announced the schedule for this year’s Summer Concert Series. All shows are free of charge and will take place outside the rock hall, weather permitting. The schedule is as follows:
Wednesday, July 8
Man Man and Mystery of Two
Wednesday, July 22
Akron/Family and Black Swans
Wednesday, Aug. 5
Chairlift and JJ Magazine
Wednesday, Aug. 19
Gil Mantera’s Party Dream and This Is a Shakedown!