* Scattered in the Flaming Lips Sunday night set between the hits were two new tracks from their upcoming album, Embyronic. This being the Internet age, you can already see a fan video of fairly decent quality for “Silver Trembling Hands” on Youtube, and you can bet the other new track, “Convinced of the Hex,” will be there shortly.
* I feel bad for all the bands who had to go up against The Flaming Lips on Sunday night. This includes Mew and The Very Best who closed the Balance Stage, as well as Grizzly Bear who were playing the Connector stage before the Flaming Lips’ closing set. There were many awkward moments during Grizzly Bear’s set where applause would erupt from the other end of the Union Park field. The Flaming Lips’ fans were so geeked that they were applauding the stage crew and any Lip who peaked through backstage, as they test fired the confetti cannons and fired up the video screen in preparation for the big spectacle. If I had to estimate, I’d say there were as many people, or more who were watching the Flaming Lips set up their stage as there were those watching Grizzly Bear.
* Speaking of the crowd, I alternately admired and hated those who staked out their ground earlier in the day with blankets and chairs and sat steadfast as the crowd swarmed around the Aluminum Stage. I hated their stubbornness and admired their perseverance as I, and other a**holes, thought they could snake their way through the crowd during Grizzly Bear’s set. It was so tight that it became a game of twister of sorts, trying to move past small rows of seated fans one limb at a time.
* I was told my red moleskine notebook, the one I’m combing through at this moment, reminded some of Mao’s Little Red Book. Really, guys, I’m not that hip that I would be reading Mao when there’s rocking to do.
* If you haven’t done so already, please check out the work of my weekend cohort, Laura Webb, who took some amazing shots this weekend. Plenty of images from the first two days have already been uploaded to Flickr, with the rest to be finished in the next couple days, at which point we’ll present you with out Greatest Pics collection.